Tuesday 4 June 2013

Non-Specific Patchwork Project

My Mum got me a couple of bundles of fat quarters for Christmas, with the intention that I use them for myself.
So I've begun an English paper piecing project. If you don't know, EPP is the patchwork technique where your fabric is tacked around a paper template to hold the intricate shapes, and then hand stitched into segments, and then they are stitched together to make the finsihed quilt top, or whatever it is you are making. And then you take all the papers out. All done by hand. Though once the whole patchwork part is complete I think you could probably machine stitch the backing, binding and quilting lines.

I'd never used this technique before, but I've been following the tutorial from Flossie Teacakes, which gives a very straightforward breakdown of what you need, various methods and links to some good resources too.
I've opted for 1" hexagons to start with.
Hexagon templates for sewing around.
Hexagon with 1/4" seam allowance to cut my fabrics from.
Tacking the shapes in place is a good TV watching activity for those of you who can't just sit and watch without doing something. You get a good stash going pretty quickly too.

I haven't started sewing sections together yet, which is my next task. The hardest part is definitely deciding how to arrange all the shapes. I printed off some templates from one of the links on Flossie Teacakes' blog and have been 'colouring-in' to find the answer.

Turns out there's a lot of answers. For the time being though I'm working toward this;

I'll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips